Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Garden

I've had it in my mind to also use this blog for gardening, I just haven't done much yet. I'm a novice when it comes to gardening. I planted a vegetable garden for the first time last year and this year will be my first year planning a landscape and flowers. I'm hoping to share my lessons learned with you and to get advice from experienced gardeners. Hopefully you won't laugh at me too much!!

For my vegetable garden this year I'm using the website smartgardener to help me plan it out. Its a great website that helps you plan according to your area, how many people are in your family and what vegetable you want to grow. It creates a to do list for you that you can check each week including when to start plants inside, when to transplant outside, what to plan directly outside, when to week, etc... Its helping me feel like I can do this even though I'm not too experienced. It also helps you plan according to the direction of the sun (height wise). I think this is one area I failed in last year. Its not a perfect website, but its pretty good for what it is!

So far I've planted my spinach and cabbage outside and I've started cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers, basil, rosemary and more cabbage inside. I have a southern facing window in my office that my plants are growing in. They seem to do REALLY well there. Here is an example of part of my to do list this week:

I also decided to purchase the upgrades to do shade, fruits and herbs. Totally worth the $10 to me! We already have strawberries (starting to see blooms!!!), raspberries, and blueberries. Over the weekend I stopped by Windmill Gardens and picked up a pink lemonade blueberry plant. I'm excited to see what it does!

My next project: Plan out a cut flower garden in my back corner. Any advice??

No comments:

Post a Comment